CPR and Firefighter Resources
If you want to be a firefighter, be prepared to work extremely hard mentally and physically in your training, but fighting fires is about more than simply being able to endure the physical rigor of the job. The more a firefighter knows, the more capable they are of helping in any situation, whether they've been called upon to put out a small household fire or perform CPR. While this is important, it is equally important to understand the science behind the fire. Just throwing water at fire will not always work, and can sometimes make the fire worse, so it is imperative for firefighters to learn what causes fires and how to properly fight them.
The firefighter community is one of the most tight-knit in the country. There are organizations for firefighters, families of firefighters, and concerned citizens who just want to make a difference, and each provides a unique and much-needed service to the firefighter community. It is a lifestyle as much as a career. Below, you'll find some of the most important organizations and news sources for your information.
Supporting firefighters is about more than paying taxes. With all they do, there are organizations around the country, and indeed around the world, that go the extra mile to help firefighters in any way they can. Here are some great resources to help you do your part, as well as some general information about the profession.
- Firefighter Training and Firefighter Education - Here are some resources on firefighter education programs in areas including investigation and inspection.
- Fire Engineering: Firefighter Training - This publication's website offers training resources for firefighters.
- Volunteer - This page contains information on how to volunteer to become a firefighter.
- U.S. Fire Administration - Here's a guide to training courses from the National Fire Academy.
- Firefighters Support Foundation - FSF's firefighter training programs are free and accessible.
- Wildland Fire Training - Here's a national schedule of firefighter training sessions and a course catalogue.
- National Fallen Firefighters Foundation - Here are a variety of courses for the fire service.
- Refinery Terminal Fire Company - Find out what it takes to fight fires on an oil rig.
- Firefighter Training - These are the best practices for firefighter training in New York.
- Fire Training - Here, you'll find a video on the "60 Second Drill," wherein a firefighter puts on his gear in less than a minute.
- National Fire Protection Association - Here are some safety tip sheets for fire prevention.
- Home Fire Safety - This resource is all about fire safety and prevention.
- Fire Safety for Kids - Meet Sparky the Dog, the mascot for Fire Prevention Week.
- Institution of Fire Engineers - Here is a guide to fire prevention advocacy.
- Department of Labor - Use this guide to fire safety in the workplace from the US Department of Labor to better educate yourself.
- Fire Safety in College - With so many students in a small space, fire prevention on the college campus is extremely important. Learn more here.
- Portable Space Heaters - Staying safe and warm all winter doesn't necessitate a huge furnace in the basement, but using portable space heaters is only wise if you use them correctly.
- Hay Fires - Understanding the causes, risks, and ways to fight hay fires is vital to staying safe.
- Workplace Fire Safety - Here is a fact sheet from OSHA on how to stay safe in the workplace.
- Fire Safety Guidelines - Here are some guidelines on how to respond, prevent, and prepare in the event of fire.
- Fire Science Courses - Find out what it takes to earn a fire science degree.
- IFTA - Here is some fire science information from the International Fire Service Training Association.
- How to Become a Firefighter - Learn what it takes to earn a fire science degree and become a firefighter.
- Fire Science Schools - Here is a long list of accredited fire science degree programs.
- College Calculator - Find out how much it would cost to earn a fire science degree.
- Daily Dispatch - The Daily Dispatch provides daily news for America's fire service, updated every Wednesday.
- VolunteerFD - This is a resource for volunteer firefighters.
- National Volunteer Fire Council - This resource provides news and information from the NVFC.
- International Association of Firefighters - Here are some resources from one of the driving forces in firefighter services advancement in the 21st century.
- i-Women - Women in fire and emergency services can ensure their voices are always heard with this resource from the (aptly named) International Association of Women in Fire and Emergency Services.
- NAHF - Here are some events and resources from the National Association of Hispanic Firefighters.
- Probationary Firefighter Resources - Here, you can watch a video about a day in the life of a probationary firefighter.
- IABPF - Here is a list of job opportunities from the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters.
- IAFC - Here are some education and development resources from the International Association of Fire Chiefs.
- National Charity Report Directory - Give generously to police and firefighter associations.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The official guide to pay, education, and more for prospective firefighters.
- Firefighter Cancer Support Network - Here's some information on an organization dedicated to helping firefighters and families of firefighters who are affected by cancer.
- Leary Firefighters Foundation - A foundation founded by actor Denis Leary after the death of his cousin due to a fire.
- Firefighter Behavioral Health Alliance - An organization formed to help firefighters in need of mental health treatment.
- FFBurn - A great resource for events and support from the Firefighters Burn Institute.