Basic First Aid - Learn proper first aid techniques.
To get certified and access full course content.
Print your certificate immediately!
Est. Time to Complete
Length of Certification
Online First Aid Certification
What’s In This Course?
Basic first aid training includes:
- Treatment of minor and major bleeding and cuts
- Treatment of minor and moderate burns
- Treatment of an unconscious person
- First aid priorities and managing the scene of an accident
- How to respond in case of choking
- Treatment of fainting and heat stroke
- Treatment of basic bites and stings
- Treatment of sprains and strains
When choosing to receive your first aid certification, online classes are a great choice. Online courses are ideal for the busy health care professional who does not have time for traditional in-person classes. Our online first aid certification course materials are available 24/7, so you will always have access to the information you need. When learning first aid online, we realize that it’s important to have visual aids — that’s why we offer a full suite of videos for your convenience.
Who Should Take This Course?
Our first aid classes online are generally appropriate for those who may be called upon to provide very basic medical help to people injured on the job or in the home, but who do not need full CPR training. In addition, it is appropriate for those who are already CPR certified and need only a first aid certification to satisfy OSHA requirements, or for professionals in need of recertification. Our online courses are taught by AHA-certified instructors and are appropriate for most requirements.
By taking our online first aid course, you can study on your own time. You can take as much time as you need on the videos and materials and then complete your online first aid certification test when ready.
Professions that may require this online first aid course include:
- On-site safety workers in construction, manufacturing, transportation, or forestry
- Food and beverage workers
- Adult foster care providers
- Security staff
- Hotel employees
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- High school teachers and coaches
- Home health care aides
Basic First Aid Certification
Why receive your first aid certification online? Here are a few good reasons:
- Approximately 150,000 people die every year because they didn’t get the first aid treatment they needed to survive.
- This is four times more than the number of people who die from lung cancer each year.
- Approximately 59% of people do not feel comfortable enough to try giving someone first aid while waiting for an ambulance.
- Approximately 24% of people would do nothing to help a nearby victim because of lack of knowledge.
Numerous studies have demonstrated that fast response is critical to a victim’s survival in a wide range of situations—from choking, severe bleeding, and drownings to sudden cardiac arrest.
It takes the average first response team eight to 12 minutes to respond to a 911 call—which means a bystander with knowledge of basic first aid can often make the difference between life and death for people who need care.
But with most people feeling uncomfortable with the idea of providing first aid—and nearly a quarter expressly stating they would do nothing in the face of an emergency because of lack of expertise—it’s easy to see why thousands of people die each year because they did not receive simple first aid treatment quickly enough.
It’s tragic—but you can be part of the solution. Take a basic first aid training online course, receive your certification, and be prepared with the knowledge you need to save a life.
Last updated by Dr. Mary Williams, RN. DC. (10/21/2015)
Other Articles by Dr. Mary Williams: